September 30, (THEWILL) – Anambra state governor, Willie Obiano, has placed a ₦20 million bounty on the perpetrators of violent crimes in the state.
The development follows the gruesome murder of Dr. Chike Akunyili, the husband of the late former Director-General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), Dora Akunyili, and others in the state.
In a statewide address to residents on Wednesday, Governor Obiano said armed men have terrorised residents in the last week, targeting road users, lives and properties.
He said from reports of security briefings he received, offices of various political parties, branded campaign vehicles, and persons inhabiting them have been targeted with death and arson.
According to the governor, “Between Sunday, September 26th, 2021 and yesterday, September 28th, 2021, ten (10) people were killed in attacks on citizens in Oko, Agulu, Obosi, Nkpor, Nnobi, Nnewi, and other locations, including an illustrious son of this state, Dr Chike Akunyili, husband of late Prof Dora Akunyili, who was reportedly gunned down yesterday around Nkpor.
“Every day, our own people are dying, and for what reason? These attacks and killings, Ndi Anambra, are unjustifiable and must be stopped immediately.
“I have therefore conducted an extensive security meeting and have directed all Security Agencies to step up and confront this monster ravaging our land.
“I charge everyone involved in the security architecture of Anambra state to take very seriously, this threat to our livelihood and boldly rise to confront same. Everything that needs to be done will be done and no stone will be left unturned in this effort. My directive to this effect is clear and i urge every security personnel on duty in Anambra State to do his utmost best to secure our people.
“To all citizens of Anambra State and every person living and doing business in our state, I urge you now to join forces with us to confront this common enemy. We cannot condone this savagery for any reason whatsoever.
“I, therefore, call on all our youths in the state to rise up and protect our communities.
“Traditional rulers, presidents general, clergymen, vigilante groups and all leadership structures must now take responsibility and in conjunction with the police, military and other law enforcement agencies, work to restore order immediately.
“To reinforce our commitment and seriousness on this issue, I on behalf of the State Government, wish to announce a twenty million Naira (N20,000,000.00) reward for any useful information leading to the arrest of the perpetrators of these heinous attacks on our State. The people behind this must be unmasked and brought to book.
“I urge Citizens to report to us, anybody bearing firearm who is not a Security or Vigilante personnel, so we can deal with this monster, once and for all. Call 07039194332 or approach any Security deployment if you have any information. As the Americans say, IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING.
“At this point, I wish to most heartily condole with the families of all those who have lost their loved ones in the course of these senseless attacks. I promise you that we will leave no stone unturned in getting justice for them. May their souls rest in peace.
“Finally, I urge all citizens of the State to unite in this fight against all forms of terror, intimidation and tyranny. We will not succumb to invaders as I am convinced that no Anambra son will indulge in this kind of heartlessness. I warn all those promoting and participating in these violent attacks to leave our State or pay a high price as we will definitely catch up with them.”