NewsKano Correspondents' Lifts Ban On Reporting Govt Activities

Kano Correspondents’ Lifts Ban On Reporting Govt Activities

June 16, (THEWILL)- The Correspondents’ Chapel of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Kano State Chapter, has lifted its ban on coverage of Kano State Government activities, with immediate effect

This is contained in a statement issued on Sunday, by the Chairman of the chapel, Alhaji Aminu Ahmed Garko, shortly after an emergency Congress meeting of the chapel held to review the 14-day-old boycott,

“The Correspondents’ Chapel of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Kano State Chapter, wishes to inform the general public that it has lifted its ban on coverage of Kano State Government activities, with immediate effect”, Garko said.

Glo

He explained that the decision to boycott the government’s activities was taken to protest Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf’s administration’s handling of issues affecting its members and the journalism profession in general.

He said the chapel has, however, come to realise that the boycott has had unintended consequences on the reportage of general happenings in the state, particularly the present security situation in the state.

“As journalists, our constitutional mandate is to inform the public and hold those in power accountable, but our boycott has limited our ability to fulfill this mandate, and we have come to realise that it is the public that is suffering the most from our absence.

“We are aware that our boycott has created a vacuum in the reporting of government activities, and we do not want our absence to be exploited by those who peddle fake news, and seek to misinform the public.

“After careful consideration, we have decided to call off the boycott and resume our reportage of government activities. We believe that our presence at government events and activities is crucial in ensuring that the public is well-informed.

“We want to assure the public that we will continue to hold the government accountable for its actions, but we will do so in a manner that does not harm the public interest.

“We appreciate the understanding and support of the public during this period and promise to rededicate ourselves to our constitutional mandate of informing and educating the public.

“We hope that our decision to call off the boycott will be seen as a positive step towards resolving the issues that led to our boycott in the first place, and we look forward to working with the government to address the issues that affect our members and the journalism profession as a whole”, the chairman added.

aiteo
Abdullahi Yusuf, THEWILL
Abdullahi Yusuf is a seasoned journalist, communicator and was previously the Deputy Editor-In-Chief and Zonal Manager, News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, Jos, where he retired on December 15, 2021

1 COMMENT

More like this
Related

CBN Directs Banks to Transfer Funds in Dormant Accounts, Unclaimed Balances

July 21, (THEWILL) - The Central Bank of Nigeria...

Akomolede Shines As Sporting Lagos Beat FC Tokyo, Lift Gothia Cup

July 21, (THEWILL) - Nigerian football Club, Sporting Lagos,...

Southampton Striker Onuachu Nears Saudi Arabia Transfer

July 20, (THEWILL) - Southampton's Nigerian forward Paul Onuachu...