NewsCardiac Arrests: Expert Tasks Schools, Others On CPR Awareness

Cardiac Arrests: Expert Tasks Schools, Others On CPR Awareness


November 25, (THEWILL) – To curb sudden deaths arising from cardiac issues, authorities have been advised to introduce Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) in both primary and secondary schools.

CPR is an emergency procedure consisting of chest compressions, often combined with artificial ventilation in an effort to manually preserve intact brain function until further measures are taken to restore spontaneous blood circulation and breathing in a person who is in cardiac arrest

Dr Aaisha Opel, an award winning and renowned UK-based medical expert, made the submission on Thursday, November 24, 2022, while fielding questions at a webinar organised by Annomo Health, in collaboration with One Welbeck Heart Health.

Speaking at the webinar with the theme: “Sudden Adult Deaths: Your Heart and More”, Dr Opel noted that it is really important for people to learn CPR, pointing out that the procedure is not a complicated exercise.

She said, “It is really important to learn CPR, after all, it is not complicated. It is time, people get to learn it. It should be taught in both primary and secondary schools. Again, it is not tasking.

“When blood cannot pump, there will be heart attack. And when muscles are starved with blood, that is the most common cause of cardiac arrest which results to sudden deaths”, she added.

Emphasising further, Opel explained that the usual cause of sudden cardiac arrest is an abnormal heart rhythm, which happens when one’s heart’s electrical system isn’t working correctly.

The heart’s electrical system, she said, controls the rate and rhythm of the human heartbeat.

Opel also attributed 80 percent causes of cardiac issues to heart muscle conditions and the remaining 20 percent to electrical problems.

While stating that no age bracket is isolated from cardiac problems, the medical doctor listed symptoms of cardiac symptoms to include: chest pain, palpitation, dizziness etc.

Although, Opel advised participants to always seek medical attention whenever there is any of such symptoms, she however, warned against patients getting blanket genetic tests done “because there might be certain abnormality that might be picked up in the process.”

To reduce the risks of cardiac illnesses, she advised the audience to always manage the level of cholesterol in the system, do away with smoking, regularly check blood pressure, blood sugar, weight and regular exercise.

Also speaking at the webinar, Chief Executive Officer of Annomo Health, Dr Chichi Menakaya, dedicated the webinar to one of supporters of Annomo Health known as Steve ‘Spotlight’ Osagie, who is now late.

Dr Menakaya narrated how Steve turned out to become a victim of sudden death, adding that the huge loss was part of the reasons why the webinar was held to enlighten the public on grey areas concerning sudden deaths.

In addition, she said that the webinar was also organised to help friends and family share memories of Steve.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More like this

Haaland’s Injury Could Impact City’s EPL, FA Cup, Champions League Campaigns

March 21, (THEWILL) - Erling Haaland has been ruled...

Wolves Midfielder Nunes Available For Next Three Games After FA Overturn Red Card

March 21, (THEWILL) - The England Football Association has...

Morocco, Spain, Portugal Launch First Transcontinental Bid For World Cup

March 21, (THEWILL) - Morocco has announced a joint...